Hope you're stowing away milk and bottled water for the upcoming Snowquester...
1. U.S. Rep. Tim Murphy, R-Upper St. Clair, is opposing a new medal for drone operators that rates above the Purple Heart and Bronze Star. He argues that a pilot sitting in a trailer in Nevada doesn't deserve greater credit than a soldier who has had legs amputated in the line of duty. Meanwhile, cartoonist Matt Bors envisions a few more medals, including the "Slippery Slope Medallion: For the Slightly Worrisome Bombing of a U.S. Citizen."
2. Farewell, C-TIPS, gone but not forgotten: Pittsburgh PD Interim Chief Regina McDonald has disbanded former chief Nate Harper's crack team of ... well, we don't know. A bizarre mashup of the bomb squad, the D.A.R.E. program and a few other units, the squad's responsibilities ranged from making drug busts to policing high school football game, Liz Navratil reports. Oh, and some were Harper's friends, which we suppose was a full-time job itself.
3. On that note, columnist Tony Norman has a piece on the thankless task of running for Pittsburgh mayor. We also had a belated LOL reading Brian O'Neill's take on Mayor Luke's political resignation. "Mr. Ravenstahl often had the look of a guy who'd like to be anywhere but in a suit and tie answering questions from City Council members or media or anyone else," he writes.
4. For all the bellyaching on council about how Allegheny County is giving away the store in allowing Consol Energy to drill for natural gas at Pittsburgh International Airport, at least one local energy lawyer says the airport's 40-page lease agreement is the best he's ever seen. Well, we expect that will settle the issue once and for all.
5. Penn State's board of trustee elections are seeing the attack ads you'd expect with, well, you know, a real election. Penn Stater's for Responsible Stewardship (PS4RS), everyone's favorite acronymal mixture of numbers and letters, is fronting a take-down campaign against incumbents Paul Suhey and Stephanie Nolan Deviney, who voted to fire former football coach Joe Paterno.