1. Farewell to the Toomey-Manchin gun background checks bill, which was shot down for having the word "gun" in it. Please send letters to the NRA in lieu of flowers.
2. Some state House Republicans want to abolish the Turnpike system, moving control to the state Dept. of Transportation. "Now just whaddaya tryin' to say here?" say outraged cigar-chomping Turnpike bosses (the ones not currently in court).
3. PoliticsPa has a roundup of congressional candidates' first-quarter fundraising. U.S. Rep. Keith Rothfus is in the middle of the back, raising $263,000.
4. Our Rich Lord reports a former Pittsburgh Housing Authority employee has been getting some lucrative contracts from his erstwhile employer.
5. A reporter from our sister paper traveled to Merry Old England for a not-so-merry funeral.