Good morning. While you were sleeping, probably, Sidney Crosby's RW Pascal Dupuis got a four-year contract from the Penguins.
1. The city's sports authority will soon send over official proposals to reconnect the Hill District with Downtown, 50 years after cutting the neighborhood off via the Civic Arena development. Unfortunately it can't be directly connected via Wylie Avenue as it once was.
2. State Rep. Daryl Metcalfe's comments about the Defense of Marriage Act, God and a gay state legislator get reaction from P-G letter writers today and from the paper's ed board. None of it is supportive of the conservative Cranberryian.
3. Here's a breakdown of the dollars in the latest state budget, focusing on social services and education.
4. Pa Supreme Court justices Ron Castille and Seamus McCaffrey really, really don't like each other. Philly Mag writes up all their negative history, highlighted by McCaffrey's tough talk about war (where he didn't see battle action, whereas Castille lost a leg in Vietnam).
5. UPMC is so mad at Pittsburgh that they're even challenging the city's (state-approved) payroll tax, which would blow a $50 million hole in its struggling budget.