1. Two southwestern Pa power plants are closing not entirely because of tough Obama/EPA regulation but rather because of a weak electricity market, writes the P-G's ace new energy reporter Anya Litvak.
2. District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala Jr. has cleaned up a mess for Pittsburgh Police by dropping charges lodged against a schoolteacher in Homewood who argued with an officer.
3. More on this later, but the Washington Post has a clever breakdown of the House GOP caucus by how it votes on key measures such as Hurricane Sandy relief and the farm bill.
4. Bad news: to cover declining enrollment the 14 Pa universities in the State System of Higher Education are raising tuition 3 percent.
5. With TVs have little worth for recycling (unlike computers) there are so many being left at local Goodwill branches that they no longer have room to take them.