1. Great lede from Andrew McGill on an old story (signature challenges to a nomination petition): "They were holding a baby. The St. Bernard was barking. They have bad handwriting."
2. Yet another example of why the state needs transportation funding: a bridge between Swissvale and Rankin that's so bad buses have to detour 15-20 minutes around, and pedestrians fear to cross.
3. The Penguins have selected a well-known developer for the old Civic Arena site with experience in Pittsburgh: McCormack Baron Salazar of St. Louis.
4. City Council may outsource scheduling of private police details (ie, working security at bars, etc.) to an outside firm, with support from the Ravenstahl admin and a bit of skepticism from the FOP. The firm's unfortunate name: Cover Your Assets.
5. Not to panic, but the surging Washington Nationals are only 6 games back from knocking the Pirates from the playoffs (and 4.5 back from the Reds, who come to PNC Park Friday).