Happy birthday, Gettysburg Address (and to Claudia McGill, this Early Returner's momma.)
1. Len Barcousky has an awesome story on the travails of a Pittsburgh Gazette writer trying to report on the Gettysburg Address. (Sounds like those eastern newspaper bullies wouldn't let him use the telegraph machine.)
2. Our new religion writer Peter Smith analyzes the biblical overtones of the famous address.
3. Who would have thought any bill would unite Gov. Tom Corbett and former Gov. Ed Rendell? Alas, the transportation bill that did failed last night, voted down in the state House 103-98.
4. Mayor-elect Bill Peduto promised yesterday to play nice with non-profits, hearkening back to the legendary partnership between former Mayor David L. Lawrence and R. K. Mellon in post-WWII Pittsburgh.
5. Who knew there was a miniature Bermuda Triangle smack dab in the middle of the county council chambers, where a quarter of all bills disappear without debate?